Winter Skills Weekend
Allowing you to enjoy the spectacular mountains of the United Kingdom in full winter conditions
Do you have summer mountaineering experience? Are you looking to take the next step in your mountaineering journey? We will help you build on your summer hill walking skills and knowledge ready to take on the UK mountains in winter.
Our Winter Skills Weekend will cover:
- How to fit and use crampons
- Ice axe use
- Equipment choice for the hills in winter
- Emergency snow shelters
- Avalanche awareness
- Choosing your route
- Basic weather forecasting
- A mountain journey to consolidate your learning
£195 per person
Max Ratio 1:6
You will need to bring your own (or hired) stiff soled mountaineering boots (at least B2 rated), crampons to fit them and a walking ice axe. It is advisable that you also wear a helmet. If you require any advice in choosing equipment please get in touch.
The weekend will be strenuous so you will need a good level of hill walking fitness and determination.
We run the weekend from Aviemore, Scotland heading into the Cairngorms each day. Accommodation can be found at the YHA Aviemore or in the town of Aviemore itself.
Why book with us?
RockRiver Expeditions are a family run company who pride themselves in delivering the best adventurous experience to one and all. We believe in a client centred approach to experiential learning in a friendly and approachable manner, working with our fully qualified instructors helping you to fulfil your dreams and ambitions.
The itinerary for the day can be built around your wants and needs of the discipline based upon your previous skills and experience. In general terms for someone who has very little knowledge of hill walking the following sample itinerary will give a guide.
- Meet around 9am or as required for your experience
- Personal equipment check, ensuring you have the right equipment for the day
- Aims of the day, weather forecast, avalanche forecast
- Navigation in the winter environment
The following is included within the price.
- Fully qualified instructor/guide
- Safety Equipment
What's Not Included
- Transport to and from the venue
- Accommodation if required
Course Kit List
You will need to supply all of your own equipment for the course including the following.
- Suitable clothing to be out in the mountains in winter
- Winter boots, must be capable of taking a crampon
- Crampons, Ice axe, Helmet, Walking Poles
- Primaloft style spare warm layer
- Map & compass
- Avalanche Transceiver, Probe, Shovel (optional)
Fitness & Training
To get the best out of the course you should arrive fit and well. If you have any doubts about your fitness levels please do not hesitate to get in touch.