Giving you the skills to navigate in the hills and mountains
You’ve learnt the basics, put it into practice on a few walks, and you’re ready to take your navigational skills to the next level. This practical course will teach you to be more self sufficient on the hills.
We run courses from a single day to a full week in all areas of the UK.
Building on the basics of navigation, we start to look at more complex navigational aids. We cover;
- Contour interpretation
- Timing and pacing
- Bearing and relocation techniques
We will provide;
- A fully qualified Summer Mountain Leader as a minimum
- Full day itinerary based on the groups experience, fitness and objectives
- Kit list
£40 per person with a minimum of 4 people for the course to run. Please note that prices are for instruction and guiding only and do not include accommodation, transport and meal costs. We can provide recommendations for accommodation if required.
Why book with us?
The itinerary for the day can be built around your wants and needs of the discipline based upon your previous skills and experience. In general terms we build on the basics of navigation the following sample itinerary will give a guide.
- Map types, scales, conventional signs
- Compass, cardinal points, roamers, magnetic north
- UK grid system, grid references, grid north
- Map orientation techniques
- Contour Interpretation
- Timing & pacing
- Bearings & relocation techniques
- Fully qualified instructor
- Safety Equipment
What's Not Included
- Transport to and from the venue
- Accommodation if required
Course Kit List
- Suitable clothing to be out in the British weather
- Feel free to bring your map & compass
- Suitable footwear, appropriate for walking off trails
- Small rucksack
Fitness & Training
For more details about our Intermediate Navigation course please email email@example.com