Giving you the skills to navigate in the hills and mountains
Revising the skills from the basic and introductory course we will now develop your strategies for use in complex terrain such as the mountains and moorland of the United Kingdom.
We run one or two day courses in all areas of the UK.
We look at;
- Poor visibility navigation
- Timing and pacing
- Slope aspect
- Strategies such as aiming off and attack points
We will provide;
- A fully qualified Summer Mountain Leader as a minimum
- Full day itinerary based on the groups experience, fitness and objectives
- Kit list
£40 per person with a minimum of 4 people for the course to run. Please note that prices are for instruction and guiding only and do not include accommodation, transport and meal costs. We can provide recommendations for accommodation if required.
Why book with us?
The itinerary for the day can be built around your wants and needs of the discipline based upon your previous skills and experience. In general terms for someone who has very little knowledge of navigation the following sample itinerary will give a guide.
- Map types, scales, conventional signs
- Compass, cardinal points, roamers, magnetic north
- UK grid system, grid references, grid north
- Map orientation techniques
- Contour Interpretation
- Timing & Pacing
- Bearings & Relocation
- Slope Aspect
- Navigational Strategies
- Fully qualified instructor
- Safety Equipment
What's Not Included
- Transport to and from the venue
- Accommodation if required
Course Kit List
- Suitable clothing to be out in the British weather
- Feel free to bring your map & compass
- Suitable footwear, appropriate for walking off trails
- Small rucksack